The crypt of Aghios Demetrios has been an archaeological site since
its discovery in 1918. After 1950, some of the sculptures that survived the great
fire of 1917, were transfered by S. Pelekanides in the area of the fountain in
an effort to remodel the whole place. In the years 1985-1988, excavations were
conducted in the north part of the Crypt, and its remains were restored. An exhibition
was organized, including the excavation finds as well as the antiquities that
were rescued from the catastrophic fire.
The museum contains early Christian sculptures of the 5th, 6th and
7th centuries found in the church, Byzantine sculpture from the church, dated
to the 11th-14th centuries, and various excavation finds (coins, pottery), dated
to the 5th-14th centuries.
The most important exhibits of the museum are:
- The fountain of the holy water and holy oil, which is connected with the cult of Saint Demetrios. Three phases are distinguished, dated to the 4th, 6th and 12-13th centuries, respectively.
- The reconstructed ambo (pulpit) of the church, dated to the 6th century. In the 7th century it was built in the wall where it is still exhibited.
- Two small early Christian pillars from the sanctuary. Dated to the 5th century AD.
- Fragments of the decorative elements of a burial monument. Dated to the 14th century.
- Architectural sculptures (columns, parapets etc.), belonging to the first architectural phase of the church. Dated to the 5th century AD.
- Mosaic votive inscription. It was part of the decoration of the church that was destroyed by the fire in 1917.
- Fragments of icons of the Holy Virgin. They were part of the relief decoration of the church, dated to the 11th and 12th centuries.
- Fragments from the altar ciborium. Dated to the 13th century AD.
- Fragments of middle Byzantine sarcophagi.
- Corinthianizing capitals from the first architectural phase of the church.