The Museum of the Macedonian Struggle owes its existence to the Society "Friends of the Museum of the Macedonian Struggle", a private association founded in Thessaloniki in 1979. The Museum has been in operation since 1982 in the neoclassical building, whose plans were drawn by the famous architect Ernst Ziller. This building was the seat of the
Greek General Consul during the period 1893-1912. The most important exhibits are the weapons, uniforms and personal items belonging to the leaders of the Macedonian Struggle (1904-1908), as well as a collection of 1,350 photographs from that period. In the basement of the building one can view life-size dioramas with representation of scenes of the Struggle and on the first floor the visitor can watch an audiovisual show on the history of Macedonia in the 19th and 20th centuries. There is also a Research Centre in the Museum, where an important collection of microphotographs of archival material on the period 1870-1912, as well as electronic data based on the local history of Macedonia are available for perusal and study.