Municipal Gallery of Piraeus
Last Update: Feb 2011
Tel.: +30 210 4101401-3
Municipal Gallery of Piraeus - Overview
The Municipal Gallery of Piraeus was inaugurated in 1957 and began to function as a section of the Municipal Library in the building of the Municipal Theatre.
In 1985 it became an independent department and included 837 works,
among which works by M. Axelos, K. Volanakis, P. Vyzantiou, A. Geralis, E. Doukas,
D. Kokotsis, Th. Lazaris, N. Lytras, K. Maleas, M. Ekonomou, K. Romanides, A.
Christofis, as well as works by many notable younger artists, among whom a special
place is reserved for a considerable number of artists from Piraeus.
Also in the Municipal Gallery is the collection of 80 sculptures by
George Kastriotis, a collection of 156 works by the popular artist St. Lazaros,
as well as the collection donated by the famous Greek actor Manos Katrakis (theatrical
costumes, photographs and theatrical material, personal belongings, etc.).
Some of the most important exhibits of the museum are:
N. Lytras, "Sun-bathing", oil, 69x50 cm.
M. Axelos, "The port of Piraeus", oil, 72x132 cm.
P. Vyzantios, "The building under construction", tempera, 53x43 cm.
Municipal Gallery of Piraeus - Map
Principals / HQ / participations...
Activities / facilities / services / specialization
Art & culture
|Museum ||• Visual Arts Museum |
|Visiting Information ||• By appointment / Free admission ||
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.