Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Last Update: Apr 2017
The Charioteer of Delphi: Close view to a masterpiece
The famous Charioteer belonged to a statuary complex of a chariot run by four horses and included a second male figure
The Charioteer of Delphi: A masterpiece of the 5th century BC Greek sculpture
Statue of Antinoos (AD 130)
Omphalos (navel-stone), the sacred symbol of Delphi
A family portrait: votive offering of Daochos, 4th c. BC
The enigmatic Dancers' Column (330 BC)
Fragments from the Charioteer's monument
Sphinx of the Naxians, 560 BC
The dispute between Hercules and Apollo for the mantic tripod, Siphnians' Treasury
Kleobis and Biton (end of the 7th c. BC)
The museum cafeteria
Entrance of the Delphi Museum
Tel.: +30 22650 82312
10Apr - 31Oct Mon-Sun, 0800-2000
01Nov - 09Apr Mon-Sun, 0800-1500
Archaeological Museum of Delphi - Photo Gallery
Archaeological Museum of Delphi - Overview
The treasure of artifacts brought to light by the excavations in the sanctuary of Delphi
found shelter in the museum that was built on site in 1903 with funds by Andreas Syggros. Successive expansions of the exhibition areas from the 1950s onwards led to the contemporary museum, which was last refurbished in 2000.
Today the museum accommodates one of the most valuable collections of ancient Greek art. These works, along with the architectural monuments, once adorned Apollo's sanctuary, which must have resembled a vast open-air museum.
The famous Charioteer belonged to a statuary complex of a chariot run by four horses and included a second male figure. It was dedicated by Polyzalos, the tyrant of the powerful city-state of Gela in Sicily, after his victory in the Pythian Games around 475 BC. A masterpiece of classical art sculpted in bronze, a rarely preserved material in the archaeological record.
The sacred symbol of Delphi, the omphalos (navel) that signified the center of the earth, was kept in Apollo's temple, while effigies of the sacred omphalos were positioned in several spots of the sanctuary. One such marble copy of the Hellenistic times has been found and is on display in the museum today.
A moving story of familial devotion lies behind the statues of Kleobis and Biton. These were two brothers from Argos who pulled their mother's cart all the way from the city to the sanctuary of Hera; the goddess rewarded their devotion by sending peaceful death in their sleep. The statues, of the typical Kouros type, are attributed to a Peloponnesian workshop and date to the end of the 7th century BC. They were dedicated to the sanctuary by the citizens of Argos.
The Sphinx of the Naxians, dated to 560 BC, comprises one of the earliest representations in art of the demonic creature with a lion's body, bird's wings and a woman's head. The statue was positioned on the top of a particularly high Ionic column, on the south of the temple of Apollo and next to the stoa of the Athenians.
The scenes unfolding upon the sculpted surfaces of the treasuries compose a mythological panorama: the Siphnian treasury tells the story of the attempted stealing of the mantic tripod by Hercules and how Athena's intervention deterred the fray between him and Apollo. The treasury of the city of Sikyon depicted the Argonauts' expedition and the abduction of Europe by Zeus transformed into a bull. The Athenians, on the other hand, chose the labours of Heracles and Theseus for the decoration of their own treasury.
One of the most distinctive private offerings to the sanctuary came from Daochos, governor (tetrarch) of Thessaly and dignitary of the Delphic Amphictiony during the reign of Philip II. Daochos dedicated nine statues representing his ancestors and his son -identification derives from the inscriptions carved below each represented figure. A rare case of an eponymous family portrait attributed to the workshop of Lysippos, one of the most important sculptors of the late-4th century BC.
The marble statue of Antinoos portrays the celebrated for his beauty youth and emperor Hadrian's favourite as a god. This work is considered one of the finest examples of the neoclassical style that revived in the 2nd century AD.
The Archaeological Museum of Delphi
from the series "The Museums Cycle" published by the Latsis Foundation.
Archaeological Museum of Delphi - Map
Executives & Departments
- Archaeological service:, Tel.: 22650 82313, 22650 82346, Fax: 22650 82966, Email:
Fokida Ephorate of Antiquities, Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Principals / HQ / participations...
- Under the supervision of:
Subsidiaries / affiliates / members...
- Exhibits from the archeological sites:
Activities / facilities / services / specialization
Art & culture
|Museum ||• Archaeological Museum |
|Visiting Information ||• Admission fee • Fixed hours • Refreshment area • Gift shop • Parking |
|Museum exhibits ||• Weapons / Armour • Statues • Statuettes - Figurines • Inscriptions • Pottery • Jewellery • Architectural sculptures |
|Periods of the exhibits ||• Mycenaean civilization, 1600-1100 BC • Ancient historical times, 1050 BC- AD 324 ||
Copyright 1999-2018 International Publications Ltd.