The building was constructed in 1911 in order to shelter the Kytheraic
Union and it was donated to the Greek Ministry of Culture in 1975. In 1981 it
was renovated in order to house the finds of the excavations and in 1991
added a guest room.
The most important exhibits of the museum are:
- Various prehistoric finds, such as pottery and stone artefacts dated to the Minoan period and found during the excavations of Palaeopolis.
- Archaic lion from Kythera.
- Head of a statue. Iconistic head of a beardless man, dated to the Roman period.
- Marble head of a youth, dated to the Roman period. It is a copy of an original statue of the 4th century BC.