(measuring 10 x 10 m.), around 20 m. high. It is made of
local schist and marble
(used in the frames of the openings, the corners and on the last floor).
It is a typical example of the free-standing defense tower of the
Hellenistic period, and one of the highest preserved ancient buildings. It originally
served for the protection of the surrounding cultivation area, between the ancient
cities of Koressia and Poieessa. Around 1600 AD, when the
monastery of Agia Marina
was founded, the tower was incorporated in the precinct, again having defensive
function. In 1858 it collapsed during an earthquake and many of its blocks were
used as building material for the reconstruction of the adjacent buildings.
The north side of the monument is preserved in very good condition
but the rest has collapsed and the debris has filled the
interior of the tower.
The wall masonry is built in the irregular trapezoidal system, with very few blocks
occupying the full width of the wall.
A study for the consolidation of the monument has been approved by
the Central Archaeological Council.