of G. Schwarts is one of the most important mansions in Greece. The mansion,
erected in 1787, constists of three floors, where we can find the reception hall,
the bedrooms and other subsidiary rooms. It is richly decorated with wall
paintings and wood
The mansion (archontiko) began to be built in 1778 as the residense
of the President of the Ambelakia Cooperative, Georgios Mavros Schwartz. It was
also the haedquarters of the Cooperative for the more than forty years of its
existence (1778-1820). In 1965 it was purchased by the Greek State and since then
has been a monument open to the public.
The mansion is a characteristic example of the 18th century traditional
architecture. It was an L-Shaped plan and consists of a ground
floor and two upper storeys, the upper one of which has projecting balconies
(sachnisia). The most interesting feature of the interior are the wall-paintings
that adorn the wooden panelling in all the rooms. This
decoration, which was executed by a painter known only by the initials L.L.,
was completed in 1798. It consists of both small and large compositions, with
geometric and floral patterns, and also landscapes, which have an impressive wealth
of subjects and testify to the skill and quality of their painting.
The exterior has been almost complety restored.
Nowadays it is used as a museum.
As a monument is administered by:
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.