The site of the fortress is identified by some scholars with
ancient Kanethos as scanty remains of buildings and graves are preserved on its
surface. The hill was probably fortified in the Roman period but it was certainly
not fortified in the Byzantine, the Venetian and the early period of the Turkish
occupation. The castle now seen was probably built by the Turks in 1684 in order
to protect Chalkis from the Venetians. It was designed by the Venetian Gerolimo
Galopo and its architectural form is more European than Turkish in character.
The fortress was unsuccessfully sieged by the Venetians of Morozini in 1688 and
the Turks managed to keep it until the Greek liberation when they gave it over
to the Greek state.
The castle of Karababa lies on a hill of the boeotian coast, called Phourka.
It occupies a strategic position, overlooking the straits of Euripos and the town
of Chalkis. Since it was designed by a Venetian, it is almost purely Venetian
in form. The enceinte is oblong in plan, oriented E-W, strengthened by a rampart
along the north wall, three bastions and one large tower. The south part of the
wall is preserved in a poor condition. Ancient spolia are built in several parts
of the walls.
The most complicate, hexagonal bastion is located on the east side
of the wall, towards Chalkis. Two Russian canons of the 19th century are seen
on the battlements. The only gate of the castle is on the SE side of the wall.
Buildings of military function were built around the gate.
At the east curtain wall, between the gate and the east bastion,
is a bell-tower, built in the place where an alarm bell of the fortress once stood.The
only building preserved intact along the perimeter of the walls is a church dedicated
to Prophet Elias, dated to 1895.The west end of the enceinte is occupied by a
seven-sided tower, the most substantial of the defensive structures of the fortress.
Access to the tower is through a narrow vaulted corridor reminding a labyrinth.