It is one of the most important settlements of the prehistoric Aegean,
whose life lasted for almost two millennia (3300-1100 BC). The remains of the
third architectural phase show strong Minoan influence, while in the fourth period,
Mycenaean influence prevails.
Excavations of the site began in 1896-1899 by the British School of
Archaeology at Athens and were continued in the years 1911, 1963, and 1974-1977.
Restoration work has been carried out by the 21st Ephorate of Prehistoric and
The most important monuments at the site
- The imposing "cyclopean" wall
, built with
large volcanic blocks
- The area of the sanctuary
- The "megaron"