Papikion lies on the west flanks of Rhodopi, NW of Komotini. The sites located
in the area indicate the existence of a renowned centre of Byzantine monasticism.
Excavations began in 1983 and have revealed six sites up to date. Mt Papikion
was closely associated with Mosynoupolis, an important and rich Thracian city,
the seat of Byzantine officials.
In the frame of restoration work, the monuments have been consolidated
wherever necessary. Sheds were constructed for the protection of the buildings
and the marble lined floor of the catholicon (main church) at the monastery of
Lenos was reconstructed.
monastic centre of the Byzantine era is mentioned in the ancient sources from
as early as the 11th century. Trial and systematic surveys have been carried out
since 1983. Excavations have brought to light three
single-aisled churches of the 11/12th century, in the shape of a free-standing
cross, an extensive monastic complex with the catholicon, the refectory, the cells
and the circuit wall of the 11/13th century, a bath of the 11/12th century, and
a monastic complex in the area of Lenos, including a catholicon, an enceinte and
a water cistern, built in the 12/13th century.
Byzantine & Post-Byzantine Monuments
Art & culture
On site monuments
Monastery: Late Byzantine period, AD 1204-1453
Churches: Middle Byzantine period, AD 610-1204Late Byzantine period, AD 1204-1453