was probably built during the first centuries of the Venetian occupation. There are incised
inscriptions since 1332. The northern aisle was the first to be built; the rest, as well as the
exonarthex, were added later.
The Monastery was abondoned in the early 18th century and only the
is preserved today. Its northern aisle is dedicated to the Virgin, the southern to St John the
Precursor and dated in 1400-1428 and the lateral to St Phanourios, whose frescoes were
painted in 1438 by the Cretan painter Constantinos Ricos. The church' s frescoes are very
important and well preserved.
In 1947, N. Platon supervised the restoration works that were carried
out in the monastery and are still carried on by the 13 th Ephorate of Byzantine
Antiquities under the supervision of M. Borboudakis.