lies near the bank of the river Kokytos, by the modern village of
Kypseli. The catholicon, which is preserved in a good condition, is a three-aisled
basilica with a transverse barrel-vault. On the three sides of the naos (except
for the east), several structures have been added: a narthex to the west, tripartite
chambers to the north and south. The walls are built of stone blocks enclosed
by bricks, and are decorated with brick and tile patterns, especially in the apse.
As for the other structures of the monastery, the refectory (Trapeza) is preserved
in a fairly good condition.
The catholicon (main church) was built by the Despote of Epirus, Michael
II Doukas, in 1242, as attested by an inscription carved on a brick, on the tympanon
of the south window of the transverse vault. A little later, the side chapels
(parecclesia) were added, and even later, at the end of the 13th century, the
narthex was erected.
The refectory (Trapeza) of the monastery, which has now been converted
into a church dedicated to St. George, is roughly contemporary with the catholicon.
The wall paintings of the catholicon date to the 17th-18th century. The destroyed
tiles of the roof were replaced in 1969 and again, in 1973-74. In 1973 consolidation
of the masonry was carried out and the paved floor of the catholicon was reconstructed.