The construction of the castle began in the 13th century but most
of what is now seen dates from the Catalan occupation of the city, lasting from
1309 until 1380. In 1458 it was captured by the Turks and remained under their
control until the liberation of Levadeia.
The castle lies on the naturally fortified hill of Aghios Elias,
overlooking the modern town of Levadeia. The long curtain wall runs steeply down,
ending at a substantial tower to the east. It is built of rubble stones and only
the gateways are built of finely cut ashlar blocks.A small church inside the castle
was much later built on the site of an ancient temple of Zeus.