building where the museum is housed, is an old two-storied cell situated NW
of the main church
of the Monastery. It has been restored during the early 80's thanks to a donation
from Mr Chandris, through the 'Greek Society'.
The museum is installed in the upper floor of the building, which
consists of two continuous rooms for the exhibition and one small room for the
guards. At the ground floor there is a small oratory and a store room. W.C. facilities
have been arranged at the back of the museum.
Because of the pillage that the Monastery suffered by the Turks during
the massacres of Chios at 1822, the items exhibited are not numerous and date
mostly after that time. Among them, post-Byzantine icons, ecclesiastical
silverworks, ecclesiastical and popular embroideries
and woven textiles are included. The most important item is the 'Pefki', a silk
woven with gold and silver threads curtain, with stylized floral motives. According
to the woven dedicatory inscription, it was made by chian craftsmen for the Monastery
of Nea Moni, in 1742. Its original use is uncertain.