MEGARA (Ancient city) GREECE
The fountain was built in ca. 500 B.C. The front side of the building was occupied by a portico with five Doric columns, and at the back of this was a narrow cistern for the drawing up of water. Two more large cisterns, separated by a parapet, were used for the collection of water. The roof was supported by 35 octagonal columns made of poros stone, while the walls were built of large limestone blocks in the isodomic system.
The site of the spring was located in 1898 and partly uncovered in 1900. The excavation of the monument was carried out in 1957 and 1958 by J. Papademetriou. After 1959, the water-tight plastering on the walls of the cisterns, was consolidated.
This text is cited Sept 2003 from the Hellenic Ministry of Culture URL below, which also contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!