Εμφανίζονται 3 τίτλοι με αναζήτηση: Αρχαιολογικοί χώροι
για το τοπωνύμιο: "ΠΕΙΡΑΙΕΥΣ
Αρχαιολογικοί χώροι (3)
Perseus Building Catalog
Summary: Stoa-like boathouse; several located on the shores of the
harbors at Piraeus.
Date: ca. 480 B.C. - 390 B.C.
Floors, with slotted slipways cut to accommodate trireme keels, that sloped and
descended into the water between rows of tall columns alternating with rows of
shorter columns. Parallel roofs supported by taller columns at the ridges and
the shorter columns at the valleys.
Slipways cradled and protected the keel and undersides of ship when it was hauled
from the water.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 3 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Piraeus, Theater of Zea
Summary: Theater; west of the Zea harbor.
Date: ca. 200 B.C. - 100 B.C.
Cavea with stone seats facing a stage building which extended the width of the
orchestra. Orchestra surrounded by a covered channel. Fourteen flights of steps
creating 13 kerkides at the level below the diazomata.
Modeled after the Theater of Dionysos in Athens. Design and proportions matched
those of the theater in Athens.
This text is cited Nov 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 2 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Site Catalog
Periods: Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic, Roman
Type: Port city
Summary: Port located on the Munichia peninsula 7 km from Athens.
The 3 natural harbors (Zea and Munichia on the E and Kantharos
on the W) of the peninsula were enhanced with fortified moles and narrowed entrances
that could be closed by chains. The peninsula was enclosed by fortifications and
3 long walls provided a secure corridor to Athens. Piraeus was laid out and built
on a grid plan by Hippodamos of Miletus. In addition to a spacious agora at the
center of the city and numerous public and religious buildings, many quays, warehouses,
arsenals, dry docks and over 300 ship-sheds served the Athenian fleet and commercial
interests. A majority of the inhabitants were "Metics" or resident aliens which
gave the city a cosmopolitan character.
Prior to the 5th century B.C., the Athenians kept their
warships at the beach of Phaleron Bay, E of the Munichia peninsula. As Athens
grew to rival the major maritime powers of Corinth and Aegina, Themistocles created
an Athenian fleet of 200 ships and in 493 expanded the fortifications of the Piraeus
which Hippias had started in 527-510 B.C. In addition to the fortifications, ship
sheds, dry docks, storage buildings, and arsenals were built to serve as base
for the fleet. After the interruption of the Persian invasion in 480 B.C., the
work continued and at ca. 450 B.C. the architect Hippodamos of Miletus laid out
a new city grid plan (one of the earliest employment of this plan in Greece),
and the Long Walls to Athens were constructed. The Long Walls and fortifications
were destroyed on order of the Spartans at the end of the Peloponnese War in 404
B.C., but rebuilt by Konon in 393 B.C. Piraeus was pillaged by Sulla in 86 B.C.,
but enjoyed a revival under Hadrian and the Antonines in the 2nd century A.D.
In 267 A.D. the city was raided by the Herulians, and after another destruction
by Alaric in 396 A.D. it lost its importance as a major port city.
1885 excavation gave plan of ship-sheds. 1887, French School
of Archaeology excavated the Aphrodision Gate. Little systematic excavation, but
many chance finds and salvage digs by the Greek Archaeological Service.
Donald R. Keller, ed.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains 54 image(s), bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Copyright 1999-2019 ΔΙΕΘΝΕΙΣ ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ Ε.Π.Ε.