The impressive "Palataki,"
dominates the rocky cape where it stands just at the end of Limenaria harbor.
It is a two-storied building, rectangular, with two little towers on its narrow
facets. As a vivid example of eclectic architecture, it is characterized by a
strict geometry and influenced from central European adherents.
It was built between 1903 and 1904 to house the administration of Speidel, the German company which by then was exploiting the Thassos mines. In 1963 though, it stopped being used since the industrial installations were deserted. Works to support the building so that it can be reused as a cultural center started in 1993.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!