In Paleohora, the Venetians built a fortress in 1282 and called it Castle Selino, the name of the district today. The pirate Barbarosa destroyed the fort in a raid in 1539 but the outside of the fort is still well-preserved.
This text is cited Oct 2002 from the Crete TOURnet URL below, which contains image.
At this location many Venetian maps present the Fort called Selino - Kasteli. The fort was built in 1280-82 and for its favor all the country was renamed from "Orina" to "Selino". The fort was destroyed by the Romans of the Crete in 1332. It was rebuilt in 1334 by the Venetians and under the Fort they founded a new settlement for workers and merchants, that took the name Vourgos. The pirate Barbarosa destroyed the fort in 1539, but later in 1595 Dolf revamped it.
This text is cited Jan 2004 from the Interdynamic S.A. URL below, which contains image
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!