Listed 9 sub titles with search on: Various locations
for wider area of: "ATTIKI
Various locations (9)
Zoster. Now Cape of Vari; a promontory on the west of Attica, between Phalerum and Sunium.
- Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Street at Athens.
Gate at Athens.
Hill at Athens where Musaeus is buried, garrisoned by Demetrius, captured by Athenians, garrisoned by Macedonians.
Limnae (Limnai), was a district to the south of the Acropolis, in which the temple of Dionysus was situated. (Thuc. ii. 15.) It was not a demus, as stated by the Scholiast on Callimachus (H. in Del. 172), who has mistaken the Limnae of Messenia for the Limnae of Athens.
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Hill and cave of Pan
A little beyond the plain is the Hill of Pan and a remarkable Cave of Pan. The entrance to it is narrow, but farther in are chambers and baths and the so-called “Pan's herd of goats,” which are rocks shaped in most respects like to goats.
- Perseus: Pausanias, Description of Greece, Attica
Spring at Marathon.
A plain near the Piraeus in Attica
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Koroneia (Koroni) Attica. A headland which closes the S side of the bay of Porto
Raphti on the E coast. It lay in the territory of the deme of Prasiai but was
sparsely inhabited, if at all, except during the Chremonidean War, 265-261 B.C.,
when it served as a fortified camp and base of operations for the Ptolemaic fleet,
which, under the admiral Patroklos, came to aid Athens against its Macedonian
besiegers. The fleet departed unsuccessful, and Koroneia, like the Ptolemaic bases
at Patroklos' Island, at Rhamnous, and elsewhere, was abandoned (Paus. 1.1.1;
Remains investigated in 1960 illustrate well the features of a Greek
fortified military camp (cf. Polyb. 6.42). The peninsula, ca. 1 km in length and
width, is a naturally strong position, connected with the mainland only by a low,
sandy isthmus. Its center rises to a natural acropolis, ca. 120 m high, from which
steep, inaccessible slopes fall off to the NW, the N and the E. A long ridge forms
a boundary to the peninsula at the S, toward the isthmus; at its W it is separated
from the acropolis by a valley, sloping gently to the sea, while at the E it is
joined by a broad saddle to the acropolis.
The camp was defended by two lines of fortifications. A dry-rubble
wall 2.25 m thick and ca. 950 m long runs the entire length of the ridge, protecting
the peninsula on the landward side. Nine towers strengthen its lower, W portion,
but there are no gates, and the camp was evidently supplied by sea. A second wall,
1.50 m thick and standing in places to its original height of over 2 m, encircles
the acropolis. One tower commands a view of the S part of the peninsula and of
the sea lanes to Keos. Three narrow posterns on the N and three wider passages
on the S gave access through the wall to the acropolis.
Within the acropolis and on the saddle are the roughly built structures
of the garrison. They were constructed of rubble with no regular plan and roofed
with reused tiles. A small house near the peak consisting of a main room and anteroom,
may have served the officer of the watch. A larger structure nearby, with five
rooms, to judge from its profusion of plates and bowls, may have been an officers'
mess. Small storerooms lined the inner face of the acropolis wall. On the saddle,
a complex of more than 20 rooms was probably a barrack, with rough, stone benches
Furnishings were utilitarian--kantharoi and plates, cooking ware,
and wine amphorai to store and carry water on a site unprovided with wells or
cisterns. Much of these furnishings may have been requisitioned from neighboring
demes. There is a variety of fabric and shape among the pots, but the pervasive
coins of Ptolemy II are consistent and confirm both the date and the character
of the site.
James R. McCredie, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Aug 2005 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
- Perseus: The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites (1976)