A town in Messenia, on the western coast, on a promontory and bay of the same name.
Kyparissia is the capital of the area of Trifylia and stretches between
the Ionian sea and the mountain «Psichro(=cold)», of the Kontovounion mountain
range, on the narrowest part of the valley of Trifyllia. It is a much-praised
City with splendid sunsets on the blue background of the Ionian Sea.
Kyparissia took part in the Trojan War under the guidance of King Nestoras, and in the historical years its bay is referred to as «Kyparissies». During the classical years, when the Thebans of general Epaminondas ruled, it meets with great financial prosperity. It was also a member of the Achaic Confederacy during the Roman years and because of its position it became a commercial and financial centre. In the 10th century A.D. it is named «Arkadia» and during the Frank rule (1205-1430) it is driven into decline. In 1432 it is passed on to the Byzantines and stays like that until 1460, when the Turks become the lords of the area. The Turkish rule lasted until 1821 with a pause during the years 1685 to 1715, the rule by the Eneti, when the city prospered again. It was one of the first cities which took part in the Greek Revolution of 1821 and it was destroyed by Ibrahem Pasha in 1825 and 1827.
The city, today, has 5500 inhabitants and is an admistrative and financial centre for Northwest Messinia which looks like two cities from high up. One seems to be wedged down at the feet of the Frank castle with its old paths, the old mansions and the proud old castle. The other city seems to stretch comfortably on the coastline of the bay which is sandy and bright on the resplendent wave of the Ionian Sea.
This text is cited March 2003 from the Messenia Prefecture Tourism Promotion Commission URL below, which contains image.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!