YSSIES (Ancient city) ARGOLIS
Husiai, Husia, Eth. Husiates. A town in the Argeia, on the road from Argos to Tegea, and at the foot of Mt. Parthenium. (Paus. ii. 24. § 7, viii. 6. § 4, 54. § 7; Strab. viii. p. 376.) It appears to have been destroyed by the Argives, along with Tiryns, Mycenae, and the other towns in the Argeia, after the Persian wars (Paus. viii. 27. § 1); but it was afterwards restored, and was occupied by the Argives in the Peloponnesian War as a frontier-fortress, till it was taken and destroyed a second time by the Lacedaemonians in B.C. 417. (Thuc. v. 83; Diod. xii. 81.) The defeat of the Lacedaemonians by the Argives, near Hysiae, of which Pausanias (ii. 24. § 7) speaks, is placed in B.C. 669. The ruins of Hysiae stand on an isolated hill above the plain of Achladokampos (Achladokampos, from achras, achlas, a wild pear-tree, and kampos, a plain). They consist of the remains of the acropolis, which escaped the notice of Leake.
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited June 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
An Argive border citadel S of the modern village of Achladokampos on the road between Lerna and Tripolis. The town was destroyed by the Lakedaimonians in 417 B.C.; following the defeat, the Argive dead were buried at Kenchreai. The ruins of Hysiai were seen by Pausanias and the walls were described by Curtius as polygonal on ashlar foundations, and flanked by round towers.
M. H. Mc Allister, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!