Arethusa (Arethousa: Eth. Arethousios), a town of Bisaltia in Macedonia, in the pass of Aulon, a little N. of Bromiscus, and celebrated for containing the sepulchre of Euripides. (Amm. Marc. xxvii. 4; Itin. Hierosol. p. 604; Leake, Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 170.) We learn from Scylax (c. 67) that it was an ancient Greek colony. It was probably founded by the Chalcidians of Euboea, who may have called it after the celebrated fountain in the neighbourhood of their city. Stephanus B. (s. v.) erroneously calls it a city of Thrace. It was either from this place or from Bromiscus that the fortified town of Rentine arose, which is frequently mentioned by the Byzantine historians. (Tafel, Thessalonica, p. 68.)
This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited July 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!