EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 3 sub titles with search on: Information about the place for destination: "EGHION Ancient city ACHAIA".


Information about the place (3)

Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)

Aegium

Aegium, Aigion, Ageion: Eth. Aigiens, Aegiensis: Vostitza. A town of Achaia, and one of the 12 Achaean cities, was situated upon the coast W. of the river Selinus, 30 stadia from Rhypae, and 40 stadia from Helice. It stood between two promontories in the corner of a bay, which formed the best harbour in Achaia next to that of Patrae. It is said to have been formed out of an union of 7 or 8 villages. It is mentioned in the Homeric catalogue; and, after the destruction of the neighbouring city of Helice by an earthquake, in B.C. 373, it obtained the territory of the latter, and thus became the chief city of Achaia. From this time Aegium was chosen as the place of meeting for the League, and it retained this distinction, on the revival of the League, till Philopoemen carried a law that the meeting might be held in any of the towns of the confederacy. Even under the Roman empire the Achaeans were allowed to keep up the form of their periodical meetings at Aegium, just as the Amphictyons were permitted to meet at Thermopylae and Delphi. (Paus. vii. 24. ยง 4.) The meetings were held in a grove near the sea, called Homagyrium or Homarium, sacred to Zeus Homagyrius or Homarius (Houagnion, Hhouarion; in Strab. pp. 385, 387, Hhouarion should be read instead of Arnharion and Ainharion). Close to this grove was a temple of Demeter Panchaea. The words Homagyrium, assembly, and Homarium, union, 1 have reference to those meetings, though in later times they were explained as indicating the spot where Agamemnon assembled the Grecian chieftains before the Trojan War. There were several other temples and public buildings at Aegium, of which an account is given by Pausanias. (Hom. Il. ii. 574; Herod. i. 145; Pol. ii. 41, v. 93; Strab. pp. 337, 385, seq.; Paus. vii. 23, 24; Liv. xxxviii. 30; Plin. iv. 6.) Vostitza, which occupies the site of the ancient Aegium, is a place of some importance. It derives its name from the gardens by which it is surrounded (from bhosta, bosthani, garden). It stands on a hill, terminating towards the sea in a cliff about 50 feet high. There is a remarkable opening in the cliff, originally perhaps artificial, which leads from the town to the ordinary place of embarkation. A great part of the town was destroyed by an earthquake in 1819, of which an account is given under Helice. The principal remains of the ancient town have been lately discovered on a hill to the E. of Vostitza. There are also several fragments of architecture and sculpture, inserted in the walls of the houses at Vostitza.

This text is from: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD). Cited May 2004 from The Perseus Project URL below, which contains interesting hyperlinks


The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites

Aigion

Aigion. Lies some 45 km E of Patras and 96.5 km NE of Corinth. Inhabited from very earliest antiquity, it was formed of the synoecism of seven or eight earlier cities (Strab 8.3.2), and was, according to Homer (Il. 2.574), a part of the domain of Agamemnon in heroic times. During the Classical period it was reckoned one of the twelve cities of Achaia (Hdt. 1.145), and, at least after the destruction of Helike (Strab. 8.7.2) in 373, it became the meeting place of the Achaian League, a position it held at least until the time of Pausanias (7.24.4). Its importance declined after the Augustan period when Patrai became the chief city of the area.
  The modern city is built over the ancient and has largely obliterated any traces of ancient remains. Pausanias (7.22.5-24.4) mentions a number of sanctuaries, of which no traces remain in situ. It is possible that some architectural members of some of these buildings have been found built into a later building of Roman times located near the old reservoir and N along Solomos St. The Classical cemetery was located NW of the reservoir, while the Mycenaean necropolis with a number of chamber tombs lies N of the gymnasium in the embankment of the main highway. Finds, mainly pottery and minor objects from Mycenaean and Hellenistic tombs and buildings, have, since 1954, been housed in a local apotheke and in the Patras Museum.

W. F. Wyatt, Jr., ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites, Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Oct 2002 from Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.


Perseus Project

Aigion, Aegium, Aegion


You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.