Listed 5 sub titles with search on: Information about the place
for destination: "PANDOSIA
Information about the place (5)
The Princeton Encyclopedia of Classical Sites
A colony of Elis (D.7.32) on a crag above the Acheron gorge in Epeiros.
The circuit wall, ca. 1050 m long, has strong towers, probably a later addition.
The site controls the entry from Cassopaea in the S to the upper valley of the
Acheron river. A famous oracular utterance of Dodona associated three-hilled Pandosia
with the Acheron (Strab. 6.1.5); it issued coinage for a short time.
N.G.L. Hammond, ed.
This text is from: The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites,
Princeton University Press 1976. Cited Nov 2002 from
Perseus Project URL below, which contains bibliography & interesting hyperlinks.
Perseus Project index
Local government WebPages
Pandosia was the most important colony of the Heleioi in Cassopaea
(region bordered by the Amvrakikos
bay, the Ionian Sea and the rivers Acheron
and Louros) and was
established in the 7th century BC. The ancient settlement is located on the hill
Kastri, which dominates the plain of Acheron, at the site where today is the homonymous
village, between Kanalaki and the Nekromanteio.
Pandosia was built on a naturally fortified position, protected by
the river Acheron (northern side) and the
lake Acherousia (southern side). The city was fortified by walls dating back
to the first half of the 4th century BC. The perimeter of the walls of the classic
period is 1,460 m and encloses an area of 130,000 m2. It was strengthened by 22
rectangular towers. Two gates are preserved on the eastern side, and a probable
third one to the northwest.
Philippos II, king of Macedonia, seized Pandosia and offered it (along
with the other Heleian colonies of Epirus) to the Epirotes, in 343/2 BC. With
the settlement of the nearby Thesprotoi, the town was expanded to the eastern
slopes and was enclosed by a new polygonal wall, of which parts are today preserved
on the northern and northeastern side.
The town was destroyed by the Romans in 167 BC; the latter allowed
later the reconstruction of a part of the walls on the top of the hill (167 -
148 BC). The decline of the settlement was probably due to the establishment of
Nikopolis and the settlement of the nearby habitants in it.
This text is cited March 2004 from the Municipality of Fanari URL below
Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities
A town of Epirus, in the district Thesprotia, on the river Acheron.
- Perseus: Harry Thurston Peck, Harpers Dictionary of Classical Antiquities (1898)
Greek & Roman Geography (ed. William Smith)
Eth. Pandosieus. An ancient colony of Elis (Dem. Halonnes. p. 84, Reiske), and
a town of the Cassopaei in the district of Thesprotia in Epirus, situated upon
the river Acheron. It is probably represented by the rocky height of Kastri, on
the summit of which are the walls of an acropolis, while those of the city descend
the slopes on either side.
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854) (ed. William Smith, LLD)
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.