The residential kernel of Marathokampos started in ancient Samos,
as it is indicated by the local traditions and toponyms. Due to the neighboring
with the Ionian Coast, the Samian Civilization flourished mostly on the Eastern
part of the Island, around the Temple
of Hera, while not many things are known for the Central and Western part
of the island.
What we do know is that there was an intense development on the South
West part of Samos, during the Byzantine and Post Byzantine years. This is confirmed
by the written elements and the ruins of big settlements with walls and Temples,
which have been found in the area.
Through the natural harbors of our Municipality, all trade dealings
were made, with the Western Islands of the Aegean Sea and the rest of Greece,
while the Byzantine fleet harbored in these natural harbors in order to control
the Central Aegean Sea.
The development of our Municipality appears to be significant during
the Post Byzantine years, when the Eastern part of Samos was depopulated by the
fear of the Turks and pirates who foraged the area. The morphology of the area,
the mentality of the people of Marathokampos, and the marine activity, interpret
the maintenance of the healthy social and economical life of the area, during
the years that are referred by the historians as the time of depopulation. At
the harbor of Ormos -
Spilia as it was called back then - the solid wood that came from Mount
Kerkis made strong ships. The trade ships of Marathokampos traveled through
the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, victoriously facing the pirates and the Turks.
These trade ships where the bridge between West Samos, Ionian Coast and Central
Greece. Brave hearted sailors from Marathokampos and their ships took part at
the campaign of Napoleon the Great in Egypt and many of them died at the battle
of the Pyramids.
Marathokampos is the home land of Kapetan Stamatis Georgiadis, Napoleon's
great fighter, member of the Karmanioli movement, and a hero of the Samian renaissance,
whose presence at the Kavo's Fonia battle gave the victory to the Samian Arms
in 1924. His family, his brothers, his sisters, his brothers in law gave everything
to the strangle and died in exile in Evia
when Samos turned to a hegemony. His house can be found in the village of Marathokampos
where many of his personal belongings are saved there.
In the church of St. Antonius, which was founded in 1904, one can
see the bell that sounded the Revelation on the 17th of April 1821, calling all
rebels to join against the tyranny of the Turks. In this church one can also find
the icon that was ordered by the captains that followed Kapetan Stamatis at the
beginning of the Revelation. During the years of the hegemony and between 1920-1940
Marathokampos town was a Municipality with Court of first instance, Country Court,
Town School and Girl's School. In these schools teachers were bright people who
had studied in Ionia and Europe. Among them were the fellow citizens Karatzas,
Sfinis and Konstas. The citizens of Marathokampos were active during the Liberation
fights in 1912-1913, the movement of Th. Sofoulis and the Near East campaign.
Right after the union of Samos with Greece, four brothers, the famous Giagiades,
feeling jostled, became outlaws. Finding refuge on the Mounts and being supported
by others of the same ideology, their mutiny lasted for many years. And this is
why the Giagiades mutiny has a big part of the Marathokampos History. Citizens
of Marathokampos also fought fiercely in Albania and Middle East.
The habitants of Marathokampos took great action during the years
of the Italian - German occupation, working hard for the resistance. They acted
on the mountains against the conquerors. Among the dead of Kastania, who were
brutally murdered by the Italians, were many citizens of Marathokampos.
Marathokampos is also the birthplace of the Patriarch of Jerusalem,
Damianos and the Metropolite Aleksandros Dilanas. One of the most important Greek
Archaeologists Manolis Andronikos spent his younger years in Marathokampos, while
from Marathokampos Gymnasium graduated the litterateur Giannis Chatzinis and the
historian Alexis Sevastakis.
This text is cited April 2005 from the Municipality of Marathokambos URL below, which contains images.