Listed 1 sub titles with search on: History
for wider area of: "AGISTRI
The ancient name of the island was Kekrifalia that means "embellished head".
Agistri is referred by this name by Homer as ally of Aegina
island in Trojan War (Iliad, epos A', raps. B', verse 562). Thucydides (470-335
B.C.) and Diodoros (90-21 B.C.) also refer to Agistri by the name "Kekrifalia".
Excavations have brought to light several archaeological finds of great interest
that show that the island was inhabited 2500 years ago.
Agistri together with the surrounding islands constituted the kingdom
of Aegina under the mythical King Aeakos. Several areas are of archaeological
interest such as Megaritissa, Aponissos,
as well as Kontari. Agistri, many times was subjected the influence of Aegina's
Along the west coast and at close to the surface of the water one
can see remnants of buildings from the pre-christian period.
Αrchaeological findings of the island are exhibited in the Cultural
Centre in Megalochori
14th century - 20th century
The island became a haven for Albanian refugees (Arvanites) from Serbian
imperial expansion in the fourteenth century under Stephen Dusan and later in
the years when the region was part of the Ottoman Empire. The Albanian influence
can still be seen in the long colourful dresses and headscarves of some of the
older women, particularly in Megalochori (Milos).
Agistri was not inhabited continuously. It appears that at the end
of the 17th century it was abandoned, most possibly because of the frequent pirate
raids in the area to which a small island such as this was particularly vulnerable.
In 1821 the island was inhabited although the population was too small
to be mentioned in a census of the time. By 1835, however, a municipality
in Agistri was formed by Royal Decree and 248 inhabitants were mentioned.
20th century - Today
In the 1920's Agistri was again barely inhabited but in the period
between the 1940's and the 1990's, Agistri was one of the few smaller Greek Islands
whose population actually increased. Today the population is just over 1000 that
reaches around the 4.500 during the summer. Until 1960 the island had no direct
boat connection with Piraeus. In 1973 electricity was introduced to the island
and in the late 1970's a road was built to Limenaria. Since 1981 a small 12 seater
bus has operated on the island travelling between Skala - Megalochori (Milos)
- Limenaria. Traditionally the island's main products have been pine resin (used
for making retsina), olive oil, figs, barley and fruit. However during the latter
half of the 20th century the economy has come to be based on tourism rather than
agriculture. Today the island has 4 communities: Megalochori (or Milos), Skala,
Metochi and Limenaria.
This text is cited February 2005 from the Yialos
Studios & Tavern URL below, which contains images.
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.