AGIO GALA (Village) CHIOS
This church was built at the base of the cliff that holds up the village. The church honors the name of Panaghia Galaktotrofousa (translation: Milk Feeding) and contains the icon of the Virgin Mary. The church's architecture is an example of subsequent architectural developments of the octagonal type exhibited in Nea Moni. The church's interior was extended, thereby becoming useful as a narthex, however, the church leads to a spiral tunnel where there is a chapel similar to the central church. This chapel honors the name of Aghia Anna (St. Anna).
Church of the Virgin Agiogaloussena: Various WebPages
The church can be described as a small, basilica type, single-aisle church that has been built from local stone. A very large portion of its stone structure has come from an ancient edifice while the tiles covering the church's exterior date back to the Byzantine period. The church's interior still displays the well maintained illustrations and frescoes that date back to the 17th century. The wood carved iconostasis is in excellent condition and is dated 1711.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.Subscribe now!