EL
Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 23 sub titles with search on: Places of worship for destination: "VERIA Town IMATHIA".


Places of worship (23)

Churches

The Old Metropolis (Megas Theologos)

  The Old Metropolis of Veroia was erected between 1070 and 1080 by Nikitas, the then bishop of the city. It is one of the largest churches built in the Balkans during the Middle Byzantine period; a triple-aisled, timber-roofed basilica, it follows the design of Ayios Demetrios' church in Thessalonike.
  Some wall--paintings that decorate its interior and rank among the most important examples of Byzantine painting belong to the period 1215/16-1224/25, when the city of Beroia was under the rule of Theodoros Angelos, despot of Epirus and later emperor of Thessalonike.
  A few late 13th century and early 14th century wall--paintings, dating perhaps to a little before 1320, also survive and give an indication of the most refined traits of the Palaeologan renaissance.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


Old Metropolis

This is a basilica dating back to the late 11th century.


Resurrection of Christ the Saviour church

One-aisled church dating to the early 14th century. It was decorated by the famous painter from Thessaloniki Georgios Kalliergis.


Resurrection of Christ the Saviour church

  The single-aisled church of Christ was once the katholikon of a 14th century stavropegiac monastery (so called as the patriarchal cross is thrust into the ground of each such monastery to signify the latter is subject immediately to the Patriarchate of Constantinople).
  Documents issued by the patriarch Niphon and the emperor Andronikos II in 1314 transferred ownership of the church to the monk Ignatios Kalothetos, a personal friend of Grigorios Palamas, at the time leading an ascetic life in the monastery of Timios Prodromos in the vicinity of Beroia.
  Ignatios invited the Thessalonikan Georgios Kalliergis -- the "outstanding painter in all Thessaly" (as the artist grandiosely signs himself in the donor's inscription within the church) -- to decorate the monastery.
  Kalliergis' work, which still excites admiration today, is one of the rarest achievements of the Palaeologan renaissance in the realm of painting. His wall-paintings are characterised by the use of many colours and show the artist's profound theological knowledge which was influenced by the work of his contemporary Thessalonikan scholars.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


St. Vlassios church

This church dates to the early 14th century.


Panagia (= Virgin Mary) Dexia church

There are murals dating back to the 14th century.


Sts. Kyrikos and Ioulita church

  It consists of a single-spaced kernel surrounded by a gallery. We do not know when it was founded. The dome collapsed during the 16th century, the form of the building changed and a painted decoration was added on 1582 a.D.. Repairs were also performed on 1644 a.D. and it is estimated that the wall paintings on the interior of the outside part of the southern and western walls date back to that time.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Imathia Prefecture Tourism Department tourist pamphlet.


The church of Ayios Kirykos and Ioulitta

  Famous for its tile decoration, the church of Ayios Kirykos and Ioulitta was built in the mid-14th century by bishop Makarios as a convent for men at Beroia.
  The stavropegiac and patriarchal character of the monastery was called into question in 1395 by the local metropolitan. We do not know the outcome of the subsequent conflict between the Patriarchate and the metropolis, but it is clear that by some date in the 16th century the monastery had lost its stavropegiac and patriarchal identity.
  The church has undergone various repairs in the course of its long history, but retains a section of the original mid-14th century wall decoration and some late 15th century murals, together with others of 1589. The latter are the work of a local painter of no particular merit, who also decorated other churches in Beroia and its vicinity up to the year 1607.

By kind permission of:Ekdotike Athenon
This text is cited Nov 2003 from the Macedonian Heritage URL below, which contains image.


St. Theodori church

There are murals dating back to the 14th century.


St. Nikolaos of Gourna church

This is a basilica with murals dating back to the 15th century.


St. Anna church

This is a two-aisled church with murals dating back to the 15th and 16th/17th century.


Panagia Pantanassa or Paleophoritissa church

Three-aisled basilica


Hypapante or Panagouda church

A two-aisled church with narthex.


St. Nikolaos of the monk Anthimos church

Three-aisled basilica dating back to the second half of the 16th century.


St. Nikolaos of archon Kalokratas church

This is a three-aisled basilica dating back to the 16th century.


St. Nikolaos of Makariotissa church

This is an one-aisled church with murals dating back to 1571.


St. Nikolaos church (known as St. Spyridon)

This is a three-aisled basilica with murals dating back to 1616.


St. Andreas church

This is a small one-ailsled church with murals dating back to the 17th century.


Pantokratoras church

Two-aisled church.


Sts Mikri Anargyri church

One-aisled church of the 18th century.


Synagogues

The synagogue of Verroia (Veria)

  The synagogue was constructed with imperial firman prior to 1850.
  The mikve was regularly visited by the women, and, on certain occasions, the men of the congregation.
  The synagogue’s twelve sefarim were saved from the Nazi destruction by the bishop of Veria and Naoussa. According to Azaria Hanania Sabbetai, one of the community's last hazanim, the synagogue of Veria had twelve sefarim before and immediately after World War II. Nine were donated to newly-dedicated synagogues in Israel.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Greek National Tourism Organization tourist pamphlet (1998).


Churches

St. Paraskevi church

This one-aisled church dates back to the 14th century.


Monasteries

Monastery of the Virgin at Dobra

Tel: +30 23310 27599, 71324

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

Ferry Departures
From

Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.