gtp logo

Location information

Listed 11 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "DAFNI Port AGION OROS" .

Places of worship (11)


The monastery of Dionysiou


Monastery of Dionysios

Tel: +30 23770 23686-7, 23272
Fax: +30 23770 23686
  It was built in the middle 14th century by the monk Dionysious of Koryssos in the Kastoria precinct, with the financial support of the emperor Alexius III Comnenos of Trapezous. In 1535 the monastery has been destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and from then onwards its architecture and buildings remain unaltered.
  It is one of the most bold architechtural structures, built on a rock, high above the sea. Although the inward space is rather limited, there is however not only the central church, but also several chapels, many of which are wall-painted. Inside the monastery there is also the defensive tower, built in 1520 and used periodically for the safe keeping of the monastery΄s library.
  The monastery is inhabited today by a new dynamic monastic community, which has undertaken the redecoration of the old buildings.
  The Katholican frescoes dated in 1546 are the work of the painter Georges, one of the main representatives of the Cretan school in the middle 16th century. The Refectory΄s frescoes had been executed in two separate phases: in the middle 16th century and in 1603. The monastery possesses one of the most remarkable collections of works of art (mainly portable icons) as well as illuminated manus cripts.

Monastery of Agios Pavlos

Tel: +30 23770 23250, 23609, 23741-4, 23355
Fax: +30 23770 23355
  It is situated in the west foot of Athos, 20 min from the sea and is dedicated in the Presentation of Christ to the temple. The monastery was destroyed many times by various causes, and its buildings belong to different periods. The Katholicon was built shortly before the mid 10th c. The monastery has 12 chapels, the most important of which is that of St George, with frescoes of the Cretan School (1555). The monastery also possesses the Nea Skete and the Skete of St Demetrius.
  The monastery is mentioned for the first time, in the mid 10th c., mostly its founder Pavlos Xeropotaminos, and then in 1259. After the Catalan raids, it is degraded into a kellion, only to become a monastery again in the 3rd quarter of the 14th c. In the 15th c. it is financially supported by Serbians rulers and after the fall of Byzantium, by rulers of eastern Europe.
  Among the monastery's possessions, are counted portable icons, heirlooms, holy relics and liturgical vessels.
  The library contains 494 manuscripts and about 12,500 books.
  The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 30 monks.

Monastery of the Greatest Lavra

Tel: +30 23770 23761, 23277
Fax: +30 23770 23762
  It was built in 963 by St. Athanasius the Athonite, with the financial support of the emperors Nikephorus Phocas and Ioannis Tzimiskes. During the ten centuries of its existence, the monastery has always held the first place among the other monasteries of the Holy Mountain, partly because of its wealth, partly because of the heirlooms stored there (manuscripts, historic documents, chrysobulls, portable icons etc).
  The monumental structure of the monastery complex is particularly noticed in its large buildings. The central church (the Katholicon) with the two large chapels of the Forty Martyrs and of St. Nicholas, occupies the center of the monastery. Within the enclosure, there is also the refectory, the kitchen, the library etc. In the four aisles, which surround the monastery, are the monks cells, the guest-house, chapels and others.
  The monastery is inhabited by 50 monks whose daily occupations are divided among their monastic duties (mass,prayers etc.) and the hospitality to the many visitors from all the world.
  The monastery remains open throughout the year from sunrise until sunset. During the winter months, it is extremely difficult to reach the monastery. The visitors who wish to study or take photographs of the monastery΄s works of art, must first contact the 10th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities as well as the monastery itself.

Monastery of Gregorios

Tel: +30 23770 23218, 23669
Fax: +30 23770 23671
  The monastery is built by the sea, in the S.W. side of the peninsula, between the monasteries of Dionysiou and Simonopetra and is dedicated to St Nicholas. The Katholicon is built and painted after the mid 18th c. The monastery has 10 chapels and 4 kellia in Karyes.
  The monastery is built during the 14th c Afterwards, there is very little information of it. The Russian pilgrims Barsky (18th c.) reports that the monastery was restarted in 1500, is the smallest of the monasteries, and almost all the heirlooms and the documents were lost in the fire of 1761. The monastery is finally rebuilt with the financial aid of the princes of Moldavia and Valachia.
  Inside the Katholicon are kept many heirlooms and portable icons, the most outstanding of which are those of St Nicholas, of Virgin Galaktotropousa and of Virgin Pantanassa.
  In the library there are 297 manuscripts, about 4,000 books and many documents.
  The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 70 monks.

The monastery of Gregoriou

Monastery of Simon Petras

Tel: +30 23770 23254
Fax: +30 23770 21014
  The seven-stored monastery of Simonopetra is the most bold construction of the peninsula, and is dedicated to the birth of Christ. The name comes from the founder of the monastery, Hosios Simon, who lived in Athos in the mid 14th c.The Katholicon was built after the last fire and has no frescoes. The monastery has 15 chapels and 5 Kellia in Karyes.
  At the end of 16th c. the monastery is burnt down, rebuilt and reburnt in the beginning of the 17th c. This long period of decline is interrupted by shorts periods of prosperity. At the end of the last century, the monastery is one more time burnt, and rebuilt with funds from Russia.
  Among the monastery's heirlooms, the most important is a piece of Saviour's Cross, holy reliquaries and others. The library, after the last fire, possesses only a few modern manuscripts and books.
  The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 60 monks.

The monastery of Simonopetra

Monastery of Xiropotamos

Tel: +30 23770 23251, 23733
Fax: +30 23770 23733
  The monastery is in the middle of the athonite peninsula, on the way from Daphne to Karyes and is dedicated to the 40 Martyrs. The Katholicon was built in 1761 by the monk Caesarius Daponte and decorated with frescoes in 1783. The monastery has several chapels and a few kellia.
  The monastery was founded in the end of 10th c., possibly by the monk Pavlos Xeropotaminos, and prospered till the Frankish conquest, when it is attacked and sacked by pirates. In the late Byzantine period it is financially supported by the Paleologan dynasty as well as Serbian rulers. After the fall of Byzantium, the turkish raids, and two destructive fires in 1507 and 1609, cause serious damages to the monastery.
  The monastery owns a rich collection of heirlooms, the most outstanding of which, is the largest in the world piece of the Christ's Cross, as well as a small round steatite icon, known as the Pulcheria Disk.
  The library contains about 400 manuscripts and 4,000 books.
  The monastery is inhabited by a brotherhood of 30 monks.

The monastery of Xeropotamou

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".

GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!
Greek Travel Pages: A bible for Tourism professionals. Buy online

Ferry Departures