Places of worship KARYA (Municipality) LEFKADA - GTP - Greek Travel Pages

Location information

Listed 4 sub titles with search on: Places of worship  for wider area of: "KARYA Municipality LEFKADA" .


Places of worship (4)

Churches

St. Paraskevi

KARYA (Small town) LEFKADA
Another wonderful church is that of Ayia Paraskevi in the upper part of the town. This is a well-preserved church built at the beginning of the 19th century. Its pride is the wooden-sculpted iconostasis, a finely worked piece in a simple baroque style made by P. Prosalentis in 1850. The icon of Ayia Paraskevi was painted by Y. Patsaras and is a beautiful composition. There are two oil-paintings by Spyridon Gazi in the church, 'The Sacrifice of Abraham' and 'Job.' There are two springs in the village with pure water from the same source which supplied the whole region with its water in the past.

This extract is cited April 2004 from the Prefecture of Lefkada URL below, which contains images


St. Spyridon

One of the most important churches of Karya is that of Ayios Spyridon in the centre of the town. It was built in the late 19th century and has a beautiful tall belfry with a clock. The iconostasis is in a simple, classical style and was made by Ioannis Vrettos (1925).

Country churches

St. Elias

EGLOUVI (Village) LEFKADA

Monasteries

Monastery of St. John at Livadi

KARYA (Small town) LEFKADA
Tel: +30 26450 41484
  At the edge of the plain, in an idyllic valley, is the Monastery of Ayios Ioannis Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist), popularly known as "Ai Yiannis in the Plain". It was founded in 1605 and has a rich history which goes back over 300 years, with an important role in the economic and cultural life of the island. It is said that the brigand Simos Bounas, or Grivas, was buried in the monastery's church in 1622.
  The Venetians gave much property to the monastery in 1702. The Church of the Odigitria (Our Lady) became a dependency of the monastery in that period and a little later fifteen other of the island's churches were given to the monastery. The monastery of Ayios Ioannis was the island's richest and most populous in the early 19th century. Today's church is newer, single-aisled with a wooden roof and a separate area for women. It has exceptional wall-paintings dating from 1736 to 1753.
  The south wall has paintings preserved in three registers. The lower register contains paintings of full-length saints, the middle register has saints whilst the upper register contains large scenes with many figures and has been fairly worn away over time. In the west wall are paintings of Ayios Konstantinos, Ayia Eleni and the Archangel Michael. Two of the episcopal paintings by Tomazos Tzen of the Cretan school dating to 1753 were stolen in 1965. Next to the monastery church, set within thick vegetation, is the dilapidated chapel of Ayios Nikolaos.

You are able to search for more information in greater and/or surrounding areas by choosing one of the titles below and clicking on "more".


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions