The holy monastery of Prophet Helias is built on a small plateau between
the summits of the mountains of Heliovounia, hidden by the surrounding plain,
between the villages N. Kerasounta
From an inscription on the east wall of the church we are informed
that it was renovated in 1620 - which means that it was built earlier.
The present church was built in 1852-53, according to several inscriptions,
while the stone-curved iconostasis was brought to completion in 1876 and the icons
in 1875. Most of the frescoes of the interior decoration of the church were made
in 1878. The monastery was destroyed during the Greek-Turkish war in 1897, while
in July in 1944 the Germans set on fire the cells.
In 1987 a new monastery of Prophet Helias and St. John was founded
near the village Flamboura.
On the 26th of November 1991, the consecration of the New Monastery
took place, in 1992 the consecration of the church of Osios Paisios occurred and
in 1996 the consecration of the church of Agios Prodromos took place.
(text: LAZAROS SINESIOS)
This text (extract) is cited July 2003 from the Prefecture
of Preveza tourist pamphlet.