Monastery of the Virgin at Voulkano
Last Update: Jun 2003
Tel.: +30 27240 51258
The new Holy Monastery of Voulkano was founded in 1625 in the east part of Ithomi
and was restored in 1967 by the Metropolitan Chrysostomos Themelis. In the centre
of the yard there is the church in the shape of a domed cross dedicated to the
Blessed Virgin Mary the Voulkaniotissa whose name came from the miracle icon of
the Blessed Virgin Mary which according to tradition is dating back to the 14th
century and is the work of the Evangelist Loukas. The Holy Monastery is for men
only and is celebrated on the 15th August. On the day before the celebration there
is vespers and a vigil. On the 20th September the icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary
is carried in a religious procession of 20 km, from the church of the Monastery
of Voulcano to the church of the Source of Life in Messini in the area of Panigyristra
where it is displayed for 9 days for people to pay their respects.
Principals / HQ / participations...