It was built in 1928 after plans and designs of the architect Zoumboulidis
who gave it a "Post-Byzantine" style. The
was built on the same grounds the old Othoman Government House was
standing before the 1926 fire that destroyed it. It has a particularly interesting
structure as seen at its ground-plan and facets. Engaging are also the well cared
details and the expensive materials used.
In 1928, the National Bank of Greece built the current building, that
between 1930 and 1950 was housing the local NBG branch in the ground-floor and
its Director’s residence upstairs. After 1950, the NBG incorporated with Athens
Bank and was relocated to another building in Anexartisias Street.
In 1960, the NBG offered it for the housing of the Zosimiaia Library
in the ground-floor, while the upper floor was reserved for the King whenever
he was visiting Ioannina. Later on, this upper floor was given to the City of
Ioannina and when the Zosimiaia Library moved out to its permanent building, the
ground-floor started being used as an exhibition hall.
In 1998, restoration, conservation and reconstruction works took place
at the building, with the City’s expenses.
This text is cited February 2003 from the following Hellenic
Ministry of Culture web page.