Eileithyia was a goddess that protected childbirth and this cave
was the most important place of her worship. According to tradition she was born
by Hera inside this cave, which is also mentioned by Homer in the Odyssey (t 188).
The finds proove that it was continuously used from Neolithic until late Roman
times, with more intensive occupation noted for the Neolithic, Minoan, and Roman periods.
Evidence for cult practice in the Early Christian times (5th century
AD) also exists. Restricted investigation was carried out in 1885 by Joseph
Chatzidakis. The site was systematically excavated by Spyridon Marinatos in 1929-1938.
The most important monuments are: The cave of Eileithyia. It is 64.5 m. long, entered from the east. Inside
there was a rectangular anteroom and a rectangular peribolos surrounding cylindrical
stalagmites (altar or cella). Courtyard with the altars. The courtyard is exactly
outside the cave and was probably used for ceremonial activities. Buildings of
the 14th-13th centuries BC were discovered here and interpreted as priests'
houses by their excavator.