A complex of buildings
has been discovered in the village of Monasteraki, which is situated in the valley of Amari, 38 km from Rethymno. It is believed that the settlement was founded in approximately 2000 BC and that it was violently destroyed by either an earthquake or a fire in approximately 1700 BC. This set of buildings includes storehouses, sanctuaries and two archive rooms containing a variety of earthenware stamps, and it is believed to have been a palace
. Excavation research was carried out by the German Archaeological Institute during World War II and has been launched again in 1980 by the University of Crete.
This text is cited from the Rethymno Prefecture Tourism Committee WebPage