The lighthouse was built in 1863 by the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses. The height of the tower is 8,5 meters and its focal plane is 75 meters.
It is located close to Oinousses, on the islet Pasas. Oinousses, are a small complex of islands between the northeast edge of Chios and the Erythrea peninsula and next to them there is the "well of Oinousses", the deepest spot of Mediterranean Sea (4.850 m.).
Eginousa is the only inhabited island. Complex’s other islands are the Pasas with its lighthouse, the Gaidouronissi, the Vatos, thePontikonissi, theArchontonissi, the Pontikokourado, thePateronissi, the Lemoudiko and the Prassonissia.