The lighthouse was operated for first time in 1863 and was constructed by the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses close to Sykaminia village of Lesvos. The tower is 6,5 meters high and its focal plane is 20 meters. After the Balkans Wars of 1912-13 was added to Greek Lighthouses Network.
Initially was worked by a living flame, which was raised by a rollers’ system on a metal pile. In 1981 was electrified. The access to the lighthouse is difficult through bumpy paths, which end at the Korakas cape, where stands the lighthouse abandoned, just 6 nautical miles from Turkish shoreline.