The lighthouse was built in 1873. The height of the white octagonal tower is 23 meters and its focal plane of 78 meters. It is one of the oldest preserved lighthouses tall, stone-built and surrounded by outbuildings. It first operated by petroleum and the light beam reached the 15 nautical miles. During the 2nd World War was out of order, until 1945 when the Hellenic Navy, within the frame of a restructuring of the Greek lighthouses network, decided to repair it. Since 1989 announced the housing of the Nautical Museum of Mani at the ground floor and the establishment of recreation facilities in the surroundings. The lighthouse’s tower remains under the authority of the Hellenic Navy.
It is located at the east side of Gythio on the Kranai islet, which is connected to the mainland by a breakwater and offers a panoramic view to the amphitheatric built town with the many neoclassic houses.