Neraida (1.050 m. altitude) is the most border village of the Prefecture
of Trikala westwards, scrambled on a side of the Eastern Tzoumerka above the Grevenitis
river with unique view to Aspros (Acheloos).
Its tallest crown, Kriakouras (2.100 m. alt.), separates Thessaly
In the old days it was called Grevenoseli. With this name it is reported
in a gold bull of the emperor Andronicus Palaiologos the 3rd in 1336, which was
found in the temple of the Assumption in Kalampaka and reports that the Bishopric
of Stagon had as limit of its jurisdiction westwards, Grevenoseli.
Part of the residents is natives. Most descendants of Sygizis from
Goustri Xiromerou, who pogrommed by the Turks, came and lived in this place in
the location Kalyvia. The village was transferred in the place that is today before
1850 and its name was taken by the homonym mountain.
Neraida is a village with tourist interest. Places with historical
and archaeological importance that someone can visit are: the Monastery of Agia
Kyriaki, the stone church of Agios Georgios in the square with the traditional
flooring and the ecclesiastical museum in the loft, work of the folkloric architect
from Pramanta, Georgios Dafnis, the ruins of the old church of "Theotokos", which
no one knows when it has been built. (The elders of the village, who were asked,
said that it was a church very old, of immemorial years, monument already from
the Ottoman domination, as the embrasures testify).
Interest also present the platan of Glava, in the shadow of which
sat and spoke to the Grevenoselites, the big teacher of the Gender Kosmas the
Aitolos, Ai Lias that the Germans considered as the base of operations of the
fighters against regime and bombard it without however causing damage, the source
of Glavas with its abundant waters that supplies the village with water and irrigates
the fields, the old - more than two hundred years of life - mill of the church
that still works and the bridge of Grevenitis that was built in the beginning
of the century. Top cultural event of the residents constitutes the two-day revelry
of Agia Paraskevi (26-27 July). For years the Neraidiotes in their majority, try
in every way to be in the village for those days, in order to be present at the
revelry. Because this revelry that withstanded the passing of the time and the
devastating society we live in, has something particular to give them: the genuine
way of expression of the sentiments and the experiences of our ancestors, who
in difficult years accomplished to turn their thorns into dance, song and creation.
Impressive are the natural beauties of the village. From the top of
Kriakouras one can see in the background Ioannina, the
lake and Arta.
There is a cavern over there that keeps snow in winter and summertime from which,
according to the tradition, the Neraidiotes were passing on the sly to Epirus
at the period of the Ottoman domination. The plateau Lakkes offers unexpected
joy to the wayfarer that heads among the imposing, rocky mountains. It is worthwhile
pointing out that in Neraida two magazines are published: The "Grevenoseli" by
Kostas Christakis, a clearly cultural magazine for the history, the folklore and
the culture of Tzoumerka and the "Glavas", body of Cultural Association of Neraidiotes
from where were also drawn most of the elements of this presentation.
The residents of Neraida are neither Vlahoi, nor Sarakatsanaioi; They
are locals and speak Greek with tzoumerkan idioms and accent. Neraida was recognized
as Community of Grevenoseli in 1912, emanating from the former Municipality of
Kothonia. Initially it was consisted of the settlements Grevenoseli (seat), Koryfi
or Kaproi, Sklyveno and Abbey of Agia Kyriaki. The settlement of Kaproi was then
extracted. In March of 1928 it was renamed into Community of Chlorou and on September
of the same year from Chlorou into Community of Neraida.
The village was burned by the Germans in 31/10/1943, fortunately without
victims because from the previous day the anabasis of the conquerors became known
and the residents left. Five people that did not leave in time fell from the bullets
of the enemies. Afterwards a horrible bad weather in 1963 when the village was
in danger from landslips and the disastrous earthquake in 1967, a great number
of residents abandoned the village and many settled in Volos,
Trikala and Arta.
The last 15 - 20 years a current of return in the village is observed, particularly
during the summer months and so Neraida takes life. Neraida is where many famous
stone craftsmen come from. Also, from there many Neraidiotes started who shine
in the political, military and social life of the country.
Today Neraida, as Municipal Apartment belongs to the Extended Community
of Neraida and constitutes its seat.
Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.