Archaeological Museum of Sifnos
Last Update: Jul 2012
Tel.: +30 22840 31022
Fax: +30 22840 31022
01Jun - 31Oct Tue-Sun, 0900-1600
Archaeological Museum of Sifnos - Overview
The Archaeological Museum of Sifnos is housed in a traditional building located at the medieval nucleus of the Castle.
It was restored by the Ministry of Culture in the early 1980's and opened to the public in 1986.
The museum includes the following collections:
Sculptures (funerary sculptures, statues, architectural members etc.) dating from the Archaic to the Roman period (6th-1st century BC).
Pottery from the Castle, dating from the Geometric to the Hellenistic period (8th-2nd century BC).
Coins minted in 600 BC.
The most important items of the exhibition are:
- Palmette finial of a marble funerary stele dated to the 4th century BC.
- Head of a marble female statue dated to the 4th century BC.
- Head of a marble kouros, dated to the middle of the 6th century BC.
- Marble Ionic capital of the 6th century BC.
- Marble funerary stele, dated to the Hellenistic period.
Executives & Departments
- Archaeological service:, Tel.: 210 3250148, 210 3310966, Fax: 210 3215897, Email:
21st Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities, 10 Epameinonda St, 105 55 Athens
Principals / HQ / participations...
- Located within the area:
- Under the supervision of:
Subsidiaries / affiliates / members...
- Exhibits from the archeological sites:
Activities / facilities / services / specialization
Art & culture
|Museum ||• Archaeological Museum |
|Visiting Information ||• Admission fee • Fixed hours |
|Museum exhibits ||• Statues • Reliefs • Pottery • Stelae / Funerary • Coins • Sarcophagi • Architectural sculptures |
|Periods of the exhibits ||• Ancient historical times, 1050 BC- AD 324 ||
Copyright 1999-2019 International Publications Ltd.