A Christian community cemetery dating from the end of the 2nd century AD and
continuing in use to the end of the 5th century. It consists of a
complex of three catacombs,
comprising large, low passages
with other smaller passages and a burial chamber joining.
Passages join the three catacombs together.
Niche-like graves (arcosolia) are cut into the
side walls of the passageways;
some of these were family graves. Graves were cut likewise into the
floors of the passages. The graves are decorated with plant patterns and
The existence of these catacombs in Melos shows that Christianity was established
very early in the island and that Melos provided a bridge for the transmission of Christianity from Asia
through Jewish traders. There was a prosperous Jewish community in Melos based on the trade in Melian
The catacombs were first explored by the German archaeologist L. Ross in 1844, followed
by the French archaeologist Bayet in 1877, G. Lampakes in 1907 and finally in 1927 by G. Soteriou.