The nucleus of the rectangular church is a long timber-roofed
chamber with a U-shaped ambulatory along the three sides and a triconch sanctuary
at the east. The marble iconostasis is preserved almost intact as well as a considerable
amount of the painted decoration, which has been dated to 1310-1320 and is of
a very high aristic quality. The
church was the catholicon (main church) of a monastery, dated to the early
14th century A.D. The name is related either to the philanthropic works of St.
Nicholas for the sake of the orphans, or to the probable founder of the monastery,
a member of the Byzantine Orphanos family. According to another suggestion, the
church was founded by the Serbian kral, Milutin. It is actually a metochion (dependence)
of the Vlatades Monastery and it functioned as a church even during the Turkish
Excavations on the interior of the church were conducted in 1959-60
and again, in 1971, at the propylon.
The monument was restored in 1959-60. The monument is used as a church.