"DORA STRATOU" DANCE THEATRE
The living museum of Greek dance, since 1953
A public-benefit institution
subsidized by the Ministry of Culture and the National Tourism Organization
under the auspices of the Municipality of Athens
- Daily performances in the its 860-seat garden theatre, located on Philopappou Hill, opposite the Acropolis.
- A company of 75 dancers, musicians and folk singers.
- A collection of over 2,000 village-made costumes, with jewels and other works of folk art worn on stage.
- School providing courses, lectures and workshops on Greek dance, rebetiko dances, dance therapy, Latin dances, folk embroidery and traditional culture.
- Programs for elementary schools.
- Field research programs in Dance Ethnography, Dance History, or Sociology.
- Study group, courses and workshops on Ancient Greek dance.
- Archives of dance books, articles, field recordings, photographs, videos and films.
- Publications: over 40 LP records, 15 CDs, 15 cassettes, 7 videocassettes, 30 books on dance in Greek, English and other languages, 8 CD-ROMs, 5 DVDs.
- Costume copies and accessories made for folk dance ensembles.
- Organizer of the annual events: World Congress on Dance Research, Anapali Festival, Emmelia Festival.
- Operation of the Dance Pandect portal: www.dance-pandect.gr
- Close cooperation with the International Dance Council CID, the UNESCO official summit organization for all forms of dance in all countries of the world: www.cid-portal.org
Performance Information 2016
: 25 May 2016 - Closing night
: 25 September 2016
Wednesday to Friday 21:30, Saturday and Sunday 20:15.
Mondays and Tuesdays closed, or performances by invited ensembles.
Closed from 12 to 14 August 2016.
Any time but usually from 19:00 to 21:00, after booking. Greek dances from all regions are tought, in English, for beginners and advanced. Also private classes.
Individuals: 15 euros, children: 5 euros, youth: 10 euros. Travel agencies and hotels can ask for vouchers.
are not necessary the theatre has 860 seats. For better service call after 19:30
Program changes every second Wednesday. Performances last 90 minutes, without intermission. Company of 75 dancers, musicians and singers. Many regions of Greece presented in each performance, each village or island through its authentic dances, costumes, musical instruments and songs. Reproduction is as faithfull to the historic original as possible.
Our garden theatre is situated opposite the Acropolis entrance, on the far side of Philopappou Hill.
From Plaka, the old town of Athens, take the pedestrian street towards St. Dimitrios Loumbardiaris and keep following the signs.
Stations "Acropolis" or "Petralona".
Take trolley bus 15 to Philopappou stop, or bus line 230 Acropolis-Zografou.
Drive around Philopappou Hill, starting at the "Dionysos" restaurant opposite the Acropolis; we have a spacious parking lot.
The national Greek Dances Theatre "Dora Stratou" is unique in its kind in the world. Since 1953 it is the living museum of Greek dance. Dances, songs and music are presented in their original forms that were or are still performed in the respective villages or islands. Costumes are authentic museum pieces, handmade in villages a century ago. The company wardrobe contains 2,000 costumes from all over Greece, complete with jewelry and accessories.
Extensive field studies by a team of researchers under the direction of professor Alkis Raftis supports the fidelity of performances to the original.
The cultural and educational activities of the Theatre are financed by the Ministry of Culture, the National Tourism Organization, other government agencies and private donnors.
Dance classes in English for individuals or groups. School with 400 students. Lectures, workshops, research programs. Copies of folk costumes made to order or rented. Library, collections and archives. Publications: books, albums, postcards, CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, posters etc. Close cooperation with the International Dance Council CID-UNESCO.
Garden Theatre on Philopappou Hill, opposite Acropolis: tel. +30 210 3244395 (morning) & +30 210 9214650 (evening)
Office building in Plaka: Scholiou 8, Plaka, GR-10557 Athens, tel. +30 210 3244395, fax +30 210 3246921, email@example.com
The text was kindly provided by the Dora Stratou Dance Theatre