This Monastery, located in the village Thymiana, was built around
1639. The Saints of which the Monastery has been named after (St. Damianos and
St. Kosmas) are known to cure illnesses and diseases. Thus, in the old days, many
people suffering from illnesses (and more specifically, neurological diseases)
would flock to the Monastery in hopes of being cured.
According to the legend, the number of nuns living in the Monastery
had always been 28. It seemed that every time the number would reach 29, one nun
would die, thus maintaining a constant number count.
Since 1987, the Monastery ceased operation following the death of
the last nun, Sister Filothei. In 1995, plans were discussed for the establishment
of an ecclesiastical high school to be built on the premises.