church is of the simple cross-in-square type on two columns with a dome. The
cloisonne wall masonry (stone blocks enclosed by bricks) is decorated with bricks
and tiles set in various patterns. Stones taken from ancient structures were also
used as building material in the walls.
The church was built in ca. A.D. 1000 in the area of Anemomylos,
by skilled builders coming from Attica or Boeotia. It was constructed on an older
catholicon (main church) of a monastery and was originally dedicated to St. Andrew,
and later, to Saints Jason and Sosipater. Of the original decoration of the walls
only a few fragments of frescoes have survived, dated to the 11th - 13th centuries
A.D. In the 17th century, the church was enriched with icons painted by the famous
Cretan artist, Emmanuel Tzanes.
In the years 1960, 1969, 1972, 1976, and 1978 the monument was restored,
the wall paintings and portable icons were cleaned, and the surrounding area was
The church still functions today, although it does not belong to