The ancient place, so called Orovies,
mentioned by historians, the existence of which has been concluded by archaeological
data, was a significant town of N. Evia, at one side of Evoic Bay, a little
westerly of Exomnia (today's Limni)
and Homeric Aeges. In the
city it is situated the famous Oracle devoted to Apollo the Selinountio, which
was thought to be the "most infallible".
This town was partially destroyed during the earthquakes of 426
B.C. (information provided by Thucidides) and then expanded southerly of surrounding
colonies, where the inhabitation has been dated in any period of time.
In Middle Ages (Byzantin-Francovenetian years) this town had been
significant, an historic evidence of that era being its Tower which was built
in the times of Villarduines (13th A.B. century).
Even in the years of Turks' occupation, because of its fertile and
cultivable land, Rovies became the administrative center of our greatest area
(Nahiyie), as this results from information of the 15th century.
Early in 20th century the well-known Paleologos' family was assimilated
to the life and history of this village.
Today, Rovies is a modern nice town of about 1500 inhabitants situated at the
national road Limni-Edipsos
(9km from Limni and 29 km from Edipsos Av.) has been well-known for its olive
production and a significant number of tourists coming here during the summer
months, factors making the town full of life.
This text is cited May 2003 from the Municipality
of Elymnies tourist pamphlet.