At the north East End of this town, and at a distance of one kilometer
lies, deeply fixed in time (11th century), the Byzantine Holy Monastery of Agios
Georgios. Up to 1599 the Temple was dedicated to Iperagia Theotoko (Mother of
God). Today, only the Catholic Monastery remains in existence after the earthquakes,
as well as some of its auxiliary buildings (Vordonaria, Fotanama, etc). At this
landscape, the new Monastery was built. The Holy Temple is of stone, of Byzantine
style and round the forecourt are built the cells and its auxiliary rooms.
This text (extract) is cited November 2003 from the Community
of Malessina tourist pamphlet (1996).