The medieval fortress
is situated on the top of a rocky hill
in the place of the acropolis of ancient Mithymna
Built with reddish and brown trachyte, it has the shape of a disporpotioned trapezium with sides of about 70m.
and it is preserved in a relatively good condition.
The exact date of its founding is not known. It was probably built after the
mid-13th century and it obviously belongs to the series of the numerous forts that were
constructed in that period by the Lesbians, in order to render the defense both against the
Turks and the Franks possible. In 1373 it was restored by Francisco Gateluzzo A´.
Additions took place during the period of the Turkish occupation (1462-1912).
Restorations commenced in 1976 and up to 1981 a number of strengthenings,
rebuildings and joint-fillings in parts of the walls took place. In 1993 a crack
in the south bulwark was restored and up to this day consolidation works are carried
out in parts of the fortress that bear signs of damage.
In summers, varied cultural events take place in its inner yard.