|Type of location:
||Port, Beach, Beaches under Ministry of Environment Inspection, Seaside resort, Town hall, Cape, Municipal district
||22o 18' 52"
||38o 9' 31"
Useful Information (2)
Responsible port authority
Tel: +30 26910 28888,
Fax: +30 26910 61540
Tel: +30 26960 22100,
Fax: +30 26960 22496
All weather anchorages
Akrata harbour (38,10,5 B - 22,19,1 A)
Local governments (2)
Tel: +30 26963 60202,
Fax: +30 26963 (26960) 22944
Municipalities' district offices
The beautiful town of Akrata, built on the coastline and offering
azure blue seawater views, wonderful beaches, and modern tourist services, will
deeply affect those who desire to combine relaxation and adventure during their
Akrata, as well as the picturesque beaches of the surrounding villages
of Trapeza, Platanos,
and Egira attract a large
number of vacationers during the summer months.
The remains of Ancient
Egira, the famous ancient theatre, as well as traces of the ancient
city of Aeges, which was destroyed around 281 B.C.
The post-Byzantine Monastery
of Agia Triada is built in the suburbs of Akrata, a lovely and hospitable
place. About 20 kms. away from the town the visitor meets Seliana,
where traces of ancient Felloi
mentioned by Pausanias in "Ahaika" have been discovered. The post-Byzantine
Monastery of Agioi
Apostoloi and the State Game Sanctuary belong to Perithori,
about 4 kms. southern of Seliana.
to Perithori, is the place
where the "Greek School", one of the first ones established in Greece
after liberation from the Turks, operated from 1829 to 1837. This is the place
where many historical personalities of the 1821 Revolution, as well as distinguished
clergymen, such as the Patriarchs of Jerusalem Dositheos and Chrysanthos, were
The mountainous areas southern of Akrata are of particular tourist
interest, as they offer o delightful view over the Limni tou Tsivlou
and the other scenic and historically important Kloukinokhoria (villages), such
as Agridi, Messorouggi,
Zarouchla etc. These villages
scattered in dense fir forests, keep the folk tradition vivid and alive.
The Byzantine church of Panagia stands in Zarouchla,
whereas on the slopes of Khelmos
the visitor finds the popular Spring of Golfo taken from Sryros Perisiadis’
play under the same name. Peresiadis’ mansion still stands in Messorouggi
where the church of Agios Georgios with the wooden hand carved temple is located.
Argyriadis’ tower in Agia
Varvara and the house of chieftain Theocharopoulos compose two of the most
significant historical points of reference to the mountainous cluster of villages
known as Kloukinohoria.
After a three-hour walk past Solos
village one reaches the mythically eternal Waters of the Styx, by which, in
Greek mythology, the Gods of Olympus
swore solemnly. Thetis is said to have bathed her son Achilles in the Waters of
the Styx and thereafter he became invulnerable. The visitor can walk from Styx
direct to Mega Spileo crossing
through the wonderfully steep slopes of Khelmos.
This text (extract) is cited March 2004 from the Prefecture
of Achaia tourist pamphlet (1999).
Selected tourism enterprises (1)