Information on the area AGIOS VASSILIOS - Greek Travel Pages

Destinations Guide

AGIOS VASSILIOS (LEO), Village, LEONIDION


Information on the area


Places of worship (2)

Monasteries

Monastery of Agii Taxiarches Moura

Half way from Palaiochori to Ayios Vassileios on a tree covered slope we can make out the ruins of the stronghold of the Monastery of the Archangel. The church, as is characteristic of many others found in Cynuria and other places, is an octagonal, domed, cruciform single-aisled structure. There are wall paintings, presumably damaged by the fire set by Ibrahim (Pasha). Written evidence exists dating from 1744 to 1834, when it is abandoned. Two bishops of the successive Metropolis of 'Reondos Prastou', Iakovos and Dionysios, are involved in the life of the monastery, an example of its role in the Cynurian life of the period.


GTP Headlines

Receive our daily Newsletter with all the latest updates on the Greek Travel industry.

Subscribe now!

Ferry Departures

Promotions